Thursday, July 31, 2008

Centerfield

I'm not a big baseball fan. I played a little bit of little league, but wasn't very good. Dropped out about third grade. My parents weren't big fans, so the fever never got passed on that way either. I know enough to enjoy watching an inning or two on TV, have gone to some minor league games as an adult. I went to a Texas Rangers game one. Saw Bo Jackson hit a home run. Also saw him strike out and break the bat over his knee. I pay enough attention to know when major records fall. I noticed when the Red Sox won the World Series, but I don't follow baseball at all.

All of the said, this song makes me wish I were a baseball fan. It makes me want to play centerfield. It is without doubt the best baseball song ever written. Could anyone else string together a bunch a cliches and make it come out sounding so fresh?

I like this video of little league baseball to go with it, it seems to me that this is what the narrator is singing about.

No comments: