Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Beginning

This blog is a random running commentary on music I like. Somethings will be things I have liked or loved for decades. Other will be things I just discovered.

I grew up like any other kid in the late Seventies listening to Arena Rock and Classic Rock. In junior high I became fond of John Denver. I played in marching band and concert band acquiring a taste for band music ranging from Sousa to Holst. This broadened into an interest in other orchestral music, although my preferences tended toward the loud brassy end of things. I also picked up an interest in Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel and other folk music of the sixties. In my twenties, I joined the SCA, and picked up on the combination of filk, broadsheet ballads and period music that floated around the SCA. Later I developed an interest in Irish and other Celtic music. After I got married, my wife got me interested in country music. My daughter is taking piano and violin, which is bringing some of that literature into my consciousness. I also find myself from time to time interested in individual pieces ranging from punk to world music to pop to just about anything else.

No comments: