Friday, May 9, 2008

Chameleon

When I was in high school this guy was my musical hero. I liked a lot of rock bands, I liked John Denver. I wanted to be Maynard Ferguson. The guy could blow a double high C on trumpet! (For non brass players, that's almost an octave above the normal range of the horn.) Every brass player I knew wanted those chops. Ferguson had a huge following among band geeks nation wide. He earned the hard way, holding clinics, playing concerts at high school jazz band contests, building a fan base among teens in an era when big band music was suppose to be music for grandparents. Chameleon was one those charts that every high school jazz band in the country played. Thirty years later, if I pick up a trombone one of the first things to come out is that ba-ba-ba-ba bump-bump trombone line. Never did find a way to hit the double high C, though.

No comments: